Lentil & Mushroom Rice & Quinoa Penne Pasta
Affordable Wholefoods Recipe of the Week
This weeks recipe of the week is from local food blogger to the Byron Bay shire Meg Phillips. Meg used our popular Organic Rice & Quinoa Penne to make this recipe. It uses only vegan ingredients, is high in protein…and super delicious.
3 cups organic rice & quinoa penne pasta
1 cup dried whole red lentils (soaked for 4 hours and drained)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 brown onion, sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
8 mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced into small pieces
1 jar of tomato passata (500-600g)
Handful of chopped basil
1/3 cup of organic pine nuts
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook whilst you are making the sauce (about 12 minutes).
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Add in the mushrooms and stir.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the zucchini and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add the passata and lentils, turn the heat up and put the saucepan lid on to cook until the lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, place the pine nuts on a tray and roast in a pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes at 180′.
- Once the lentils are soft, add the basis and stir through.
- Drain the pasta and serve with the tomato lentil sauce, then top with roasted pine nuts.
- Garnish with avocado and savoury yeast flakes (optional).
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegan
To see more from Meg you can visit her Instagram page here