Nourishing Green Soup
For all our green lovers, here is a simple and wholesome nourishing soup recipe that can be enjoyed all year round. Made up of our favourite greens, this one is so versatile and the beauty is that you can use it as a starter and blueprint for making your own. Experimenting with your own favourite combination of green vegetables, herbs and spices is a great way to find what works best for your body and to the taste buds as well. This one has a very simple flavour so you might like to add your own seasoning or serve alongside some roasted veggies, BBQ’d meat or warmed bread.
Wholefood cooking at its best…..
Serving Size: 6 soups
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of shallots (loosely chopped)
3 cups of green beans (tipped and chopped)
2 heads of broccoli (cut into small florets)
1 litre of water
1 bunch of silverbeet (or rainbow chard) – stalks removed and finely chopped
1 bunch of basil leaves (removed from stems)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Chilli (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy base saucepan on medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and slowly saute being careful not to burn. (About 6-8 minutes)
- Add the green beans and broccoli and saute on low heat for another 8-10 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add the turmeric and black pepper (and chilli if using) and stir for another minute before adding the water.
- Now add your silverbeet and basil and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes (making sure the green vegetables are still bright green).
- Turn the heat off and remove from the stove.
- Blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Serve as a starter alongside BBQ’ed fresh fish, roasted root vegetable or homemade Mexican corn bread.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegan | Vegetarian