Quinoa and Green Bean Salad with Sweet Potato Chips
This week’s Recipe of the Week, Quinoa and Green Bean Salad with Sweet Potato Chips has been adapted by store owner Denise from an original Anthea Moore recipe. The bright green of the vegetables contrasts beautifully with the tri-coloured quinoa and orange sweet potato of this tasty dish, and it’s packed full of antioxidants! The recipe has plenty of layers and textures, from crunchy greens to soft sweet potato and an amazingly tangy aromatic dressing, perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
Makes: 4 serves
Soaking time: 3 hours (optional)
Preparation time: 20-30 mins
Cooking time: 30-35 mins
1 cup tri-coloured quinoa rinsed and drained
2 ½ cups of water
2 large sweet potatoes, cut crossways into 5mm thick slices
¼ cup cold-pressed olive oil
1 teaspoon quality salt
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
150g green beans, trimmed
150g snow peas, trimmed
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup pepitas
2-3 basil leaves, shredded, for garnishing
12 yellow grape tomatoes, halved, for garnishing
Basic salad dressing:
1 ½ tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
1 ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
¼ teaspoon quality salt
Lime & basil vinaigrette
½ cup cold-pressed olive oil
¼ cup lime juice
12 basil leaves
1 tsp unpasteurised apple cider vinegar*
1 tbsp hulled tahini
1 tsp quality salt
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees fan-forced.
- Place the quinoa in a small saucepan with the filtered water and bring to the boil on a medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is soft and cooked. Drain, then cool under cold running water. Drain well and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, place the sweet potato rounds on a large flat baking tray and toss with oil, salt and pepper to coat. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and soft. Set aside.
- Lightly blanch the beans and snow peas for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until they turn bright green but still retain their crunch. Drain, then cool under cold running water to prevent further cooking. Drain well and add to the quinoa.
- Heat a medium frying pan on medium heat and dry-fry sunflower seeds and pepitas, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes or until evenly toasted and golden brown.
- Set aside to cool, then add half the seeds and pepitas to the quinoa mixture.
- When ready to serve, make the salad dressing and pour over quinoa salad. Toss to combine.
- Make the lime and basil vinaigrette.
- Divide the quinoa salad onto 4 serving plates and top with sweet potato rounds, the remaining seeds and pepitas, the shredded basil and the tomatoes. Serve with the lime & basil vinaigrette on the side.
Basic salad dressing
- Place all the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until well combined.
Lime & basil vinaigrette
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 seconds. Pour into a small jug.
Gluten-Free | Vegetarian | Vegan | Refined Sugar-free