We recently discovered another of our customers to be a keen food blogger. Holly Valentine aka @the_cadavar is an Affordable Wholefoods shopper who loves our TVP mince, one of the popular vegetarian products we sell.
We loved it so much she agreed to share it on the AW blog…so here it is, in Holly’s own words “a rich tomato sauce that could fool all but the most committed meat eater. Everything comes together in a single pot with minimal prep involved, which makes it perfect for an easy but satisfying meal”.
Serving size: Serves 4
1 cup TVP mince (uncooked)
1 cup stock (See notes below)
1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
1 small brown onion (diced)
1 teaspoon garlic (crushed)
1 x 800g can of crushed tomatoes (or 2 x 400g)
1 teaspoon of mushroom powder (optional)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Fresh or dried oregano and basil to taste (whatever you have access to)
- In a large saucepan over medium to low heat, saute the onion and garlic until they are ever-so lightly browned and translucent.
- Throw in everything else.
- Keeping the sauce at a low simmer, stir occasionally to prevent anything burning on the bottom of the pot.
- That’s basically it. The TVP will slowly absorb the liquid of both the stock and the crushed tomatoes, naturally thickening the sauce. If the sauce becomes too thick but the mince feels too chewy, add another cup of water and continue to simmer.
- Serve over pasta, or whatever carb your heart desires.
Inspirations from the author:
The mushroom powder isn’t necessary but helps with the meaty flavour.
This is of course a great base to add vegetables to, just as you would regular bolognese.
As TVP mince can take some time to fully absorb the sauce, you can speed this recipe up by soaking the mince in the stock before you add it to the rest of the ingredients. It’s not quite as obscenely delicious this way, but it means you can have it done even before your pasta has cooked.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegetarian | Vegan
Other favourite Healthy Vegan Recipes on the blog include:
Vegan Curried Lentil Pies by Morag Turnball
Vegan Earth Burger by Laura Saunders of Nourished – N.F.W (Nutrition. Fitness. Wellness)
Raw Vegan Caramel Slice by Meg Phillips and
Raw Mango & Macadamia Slice by Kerry Cox of True Body Connection