Banana Berry Breakfast Loaf w/ Granola Topping
We recently teamed up with Melbourne based Health Coach & Food blogger Tristen Van Der Kley from Balanced Body Nutrition. Tristen is a huge supporter of wholefoods and has shared with us one of her favourite breakfast recipes for summer. Enjoy! – AW
I’m a little in love with this recipe. It’s kind of a banana bread with a wal-nutty, turmeric, berry twist. It tastes a little like a warming bowl of granola oats, it’s soft, moist and mildly sweet. And the best part – it’s packed with nourishing anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense super foods. Eat on its own, or top with yogurt and fruit or butter and avocado. Make it this weekend and enjoy a sleep in, rest & relaxation – – Tristen
Serving Size : Makes 1 loaf
100g/1 cup walnuts
85 g /1 cup rolled oats
90 g / 2/3 cup buckwheat flour + 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or potato starch)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp turmeric (use a little less if you are not used to the flavor)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
a pinch black pepper
160 ml / 2/3 cup natural greek yogurt
80 ml / 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or butter
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
4 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup or Manuka honey
3 large organic eggs (or for vegan use 3 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 9 tbsp water)
A large handful blueberries, frozen or fresh
1/3 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp Manuka honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a loaf tin (I find silicone the best) with baking paper or grease with oil or butter.
- Add walnuts and rolled oats to a food processor or blender (or mortle) and pulse into a coarse flour.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl together with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Add yogurt, oil/butter, bananas and maple syrup to the food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Transfer to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and beat them for about a minute before adding them to the mix.
- Use a spatula to carefully fold everything until combined. Pour the batter into the loaf tin, scatter a bunch of blueberries over the top and gently push them down slightly into the mix.
- Mix together the granola crumble in a small bowl and add it to the top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until golden. Best enjoyed still warm from the oven.
Refined Sugar Free
To see more from Tristen visit her Website and Nutrition Blog here
Shop Recipe Ingredients
[products ids=”17577,16923,18014,19071″ columns=”4″]