Banana Berry Breakfast Loaf w/ Granola Topping
We recently teamed up with Melbourne based Health Coach & Food blogger Tristen Van Der Kley from Balanced Body Nutrition. Tristen is a huge supporter of wholefoods and has shared with us one of her favourite breakfast recipes for summer. Enjoy! – AW
I’m a little in love with this recipe. It’s kind of a banana bread with a wal-nutty, turmeric, berry twist. It tastes a little like a warming bowl of granola oats, it’s soft, moist and mildly sweet. And the best part – it’s packed with nourishing anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense super foods. Eat on its own, or top with yogurt and fruit or butter and avocado. Make it this weekend and enjoy a sleep in, rest & relaxation – – Tristen
Serving Size : Makes 1 loaf
100g/1 cup walnuts
85 g /1 cup rolled oats
90 g / 2/3 cup buckwheat flour + 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or potato starch)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp turmeric (use a little less if you are not used to the flavor)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
a pinch black pepper
160 ml / 2/3 cup natural greek yogurt
80 ml / 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or butter
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
4 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup or Manuka honey
3 large organic eggs (or for vegan use 3 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 9 tbsp water)
A large handful blueberries, frozen or fresh
1/3 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp Manuka honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a loaf tin (I find silicone the best) with baking paper or grease with oil or butter.
- Add walnuts and rolled oats to a food processor or blender (or mortle) and pulse into a coarse flour.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl together with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Add yogurt, oil/butter, bananas and maple syrup to the food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Transfer to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and beat them for about a minute before adding them to the mix.
- Use a spatula to carefully fold everything until combined. Pour the batter into the loaf tin, scatter a bunch of blueberries over the top and gently push them down slightly into the mix.
- Mix together the granola crumble in a small bowl and add it to the top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until golden. Best enjoyed still warm from the oven.
Refined Sugar Free
To see more from Tristen visit her Website and Nutrition Blog here