Fig & Walnut Bread
This week’s Recipe of the Week is a scrumptious paleo Fig & Walnut Bread from Janine’s Gluten Free Kitchen. This loaf is gluten and dairy-free and is the perfect sweet breakfast, served warm or toasted with a drizzle of honey or a dollop of your favourite jam. Enjoy!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
1 cup Golden Flax Meal (Linseed meal)
1 cup Arrowroot Flour (use Tapioca if you can’t find arrowroot)
4 Free Range or Organic Eggs – large
4 Free Range or Organic Egg Whites
2 Tbs Avocado Oil (or light vegetable oil)
1 cup Fresh Raw Walnuts – chopped
1/2 cup Dried Figs – chopped
1 Tbs Cinnamon Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Powder
4 tsp GF Baking Powder
1 Tbs Lemon Juice – fresh
1/4 cup Filtered Water
1/4 cup Maple Syrup (optional)
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease a standard 9″ loaf pan with oil ensuring it is well coated.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl until broken down and lightly frothy. Add all wet ingredients: oil, juice, maple syrup, and water, and mix well.
- In another clean dry bowl, add all your dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add the wet mix into the dry ingredient and mix with a wooden spoon until everything is well combined. Do not overtax, you want the batter to just be well incorporated.
IMPORTANT! do not walk away at this step. The mixture thickens very quickly and will be impossible to pour into the baking tray if you leave it. You must mix and pour immediately.
- Spread batter into the loaf pan, and smooth out the top nice and flat.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre of the bread. If you take it out too early it will cave in and be a bit ‘gluey’ inside.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, but served warm it is really delicious! Once cooled you can store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Serve with Nuttelex or dairy-free margarine, honey or Chia Jam. Enjoy!
Gluten-free | Dairy-free | Paleo | Refined sugar-free
To see more recipes from Janine visit her YouTube channel here.