Gluten Free Banana & Walnut Bread
A few months ago we approached Casey-Lee from Live Love Nourish to see if she would be interested in creating a recipe using ingredients from our online store. Fortunate for us she gracefully accepted.
Casey-Lee wanted to showcase how simple it is to make a gluten, dairy and sugar free (her specialty) banana loaf, spicing things up with a little organic maca powder and walnuts. The combination was a winner.
We love Casey-Lee’s recipes and definitely recommend if you are looking for some gluten free inspiration to visit her website…..but be sure you come to the freshest place to buy wholefoods online for your ingredients! That’s us….of course.
So here it is, in Casey-Lee’s words ‘a super easy, super healthy, sugar free banana bread recipe. No added sugars or even natural sweeteners, just the natural sweetness of fresh bananas’.
- 3 large free range eggs
- 1 ¼ cup (330g) ripe banana, mashed (approx 2 -3 medium bananas)
- 1 3/4 cups (180g) almond meal
- 2 Tbsp (16g) organic maca powder (optional)
- 2 tsp (8g) gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1g) ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (75g) walnuts, chopped
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add mashed banana and whisk to combine. Add in almond meal, maca powder, baking powder and cinnamon and combine well.
- Pour batter into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake in oven for 40- 45 minutes or until cooked through. Test with a skewer; the skewer will come out clean when cooked through.
- Serve warm, toasted or chilled.
- Sprinkle almond flakes or crushed walnuts on surface prior to baking and place baking paper on top (to stop nuts from burning).
- Instead of walnuts you can also use chopped macadamia nuts.
- Add 1 tsp organic vanilla powder to batter.
- To give your banana bread a boost of extra banana flavour add an additional ¼ cup of mashed banana to mixture, totalling 1 ½ cups.
- Instead of cooking as a loaf of banana bread you can spoon batter into muffin trays and cook for half the time.
- For a fun decoration layer the top of you uncooked banana bread with thin slices of banana before baking.
- Maca is a root plant native to the Andes of Peru. It is made into a superfood powder that can be added to baking, smoothies and raw treats with benefits such as boosting energy and improving hormonal balance. You can purchase from health food stores.
- This recipe is suitable to freeze.
- You can also make this recipe into muffins.
Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Paleo | Refined Sugar Free
For more recipes from Live Love Nourish visit their website