Gluten Free Banana & Walnut Bread
RECIPE OF THE WEEK – Affordable Wholefoods
This weeks recipe is from Casey-Lee of Live Love Nourish. A super easy, super healthy, sugar free banana bread recipe with no added sugars, just the natural sweetness of fresh bananas’.
3 large free range eggs
1 ¼ cup (330g) ripe banana, mashed (approx 2 -3 medium bananas)
1 3/4 cups (180g) almond meal
2 Tbsp (16g) organic maca powder (optional)
2 tsp (8g) gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp (1g) ground cinnamon
3/4 cup (75g) walnuts, chopped
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add mashed banana and whisk to combine. Add in almond meal, maca powder, baking powder and cinnamon and combine well.
- Pour batter into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake in oven for 40- 45 minutes or until cooked through. Test with a skewer; the skewer will come out clean when cooked through.
Serve warm, toasted or chilled.
- Sprinkle almond flakes or crushed walnuts on surface prior to baking and place baking paper on top (to stop nuts from burning).
- Instead of walnuts you can also use chopped macadamia nuts.
- Add 1 tsp organic vanilla powder to batter.
- To give your banana bread a boost of extra banana flavour add an additional ¼ cup of mashed banana to mixture, totalling 1 ½ cups.
- Instead of cooking as a loaf of banana bread you can spoon batter into muffin trays and cook for half the time.
- For a fun decoration layer the top of you uncooked banana bread with thin slices of banana before baking.
- Maca is a root plant native to the Andes of Peru. It is made into a superfood powder that can be added to baking, smoothies and raw treats with benefits such as boosting energy and improving hormonal balance. You can purchase from health food stores.
- This recipe is suitable to freeze.
- You can also make this recipe into muffins.
Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Paleo | Refined Sugar Free
For more recipes from Live Love Nourish visit their website