Rosemary & Orange Vegan Quinoa Loaf
RECIPE OF THE WEEK – AFFORDABLE WHOLEFOODS
Another delicious vegan recipe from Balanced Body Nutrition.
Note: this recipe requires pre-preparation the day prior to baking. The loaf is quite dense and moist, rather than a fluffy traditional bread loaf. It is best served toasted with a variety of sweet or savoury toppings.
2 cups white quinoa (uncooked)
1/4 cup chia seeds + 1/2 cup water for soaking
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small orange (zest of 1/2 orange + juice of 1/2 – 3/4 of the orange to make 1/2 cup orange juice)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary (fresh or dried)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds + extra for topping
- Pre-preparation: Place uncooked quinoa in a mixing bowl and cover with water so there is a few centimetres of water above the quinoa. Set aside overnight to soak.
- In a separate bowl, place the chia seeds and 1/2 cup water and mix. Set aside overnight or at least 20 minutes prior to making the loaf (Chia seed will soak up the water similar to a chia pudding).
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius and line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Drain the quinoa in a sieve. Set aside to drain further whilst you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a food processor bowl, add the chia seeds, extra virgin olive oil, baking powder, lemon juice, salt, zest and juice of the orange (note: there needs to be 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice. You can top this off with water if you don’t have enough juice).
- Once the water has drained from the quinoa, add it to the mix.
- Process on high speed for about 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides with a spatula when needed. Once ready the mixture will look thick and creamy but still have some whole bits of quinoa and chia seed.
- Add rosemary and sunflower seeds to the mixture and mix through with a spatula.
- Pour into the loaf tin and smooth down the top. Sprinkle with extra sunflower seeds and rosemary.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake (uncovered) for 1.5 hours. This loaf is dense and needs to be baked low and slow to cook the quinoa. Once ready it will be a little golden on top and firm when pressed in the middle.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing.
- Keep in a beeswax wrap or paper bag in a cool dark place. Can be frozen.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegan | Refined Sugar Free