Chai Spiced Gluten Free Christmas Cake with White Chocolate Cream Icing
This weeks Recipe of the Week comes from a collaboration with Casey-Lee Lyons from Live Love Nourish….a gluten free Christmas cake infused with our very own chai spice mix and finished with a dairy free white chocolate cream frosting. Bonus – all ingredients available either in store or online 😊
4 large eggs
Zest & Juice of 1 orange
1 cup premium coconut milk (canned)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or essence
3 cups of almond meal
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup pitted and chopped medjool dates
1/2 cup naturally dried pineapple, chopped
1/3 cup currants
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup dried Incaberries
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3 tablespoons chai spice mix
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for 3 hours or overnight)
1/2 cup cacao butter, melted
1/2 cup vegan coconut milk powder
3 tablespoons full fat coconut milk (canned)
3 tablespoons rice malt syrup or honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
- On a stove top, bring 1 cup of coconut milk to the boil. Add the chai spice mix and turn off the heat to allow the spices to steep for 20 minutes. Strain the coconut milk into a bowl and discard the spices. Measure out 3/4 cup coconut milk.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180’C.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs with the orange juice, zest, chai spiced coconut milk and vanilla essence.
- Add the almond meal, tapioca flour, coconut sugar and baking powder and mix well.
- Add the chopped medjool dates, pineapple, currants, raisins, incaberries and almonds.
- Pour into a round, lined cake tin. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare your icing.
- Strain soaked cashews and rinse well.
- Add the soaked cashews, melted cacao butter, coconut milk powder, coconut milk, rice malt syrup, coconut oil and vanilla to a high speed blender or processor and blitz until smooth. Scrape down the sides regularly if needed. Depending on the temperature of your kitchen, if the frosting is very liquid, place it in the fridge to firm it up for ease of spreading. It will firm in the fridge very quickly so keep and eye on it.
- Once the cake is cooled, ice generously and place in the fridge to set.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to decorate and serve.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free
Passionate about inspiring others to live a healthy and happy life, naturopath and nutritionist
Casey-Lee Lyons shares her healthy recipes in a refreshing and simple way.
Her easy-to-understand nutrition and lifestyle advice has helped many people improve their health and vitality and to live their healthiest and best life.