Christmas Chocolate Gingerbread Biscuits
This week’s recipe of the week has been inspired by Loving Earth’s Chocolate Dipped Gingerbread biscuits and has been made by store manager Caroline. A fun festive recipe to make with the family and/or share with friends as a tasty homemade gift. Enjoy!
3 cups spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted over a double boiler)
1/4 cup maple syrup + 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 flax egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of salt
2 blocks White Chocolate
2 blocks Milk or Dark Chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl including flour, baking soda, 1/2 cup brown sugar, ground ginger and spices.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients including the melted coconut oil, 1/4 brown sugar + 1/4 maple syrup, flax egg, and vanilla.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients over. Combine well.
- Roll half of the dough into a ball and flatten with a flour-dusted rolling pin on a flour-dusted kitchen bench or chopping board surface.
- Cut out the gingerbread people (or desired shapes) and place them on the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. While the biscuits are cooling, melt a bar of two each of the White Chocolate and Dark/Milk Chocolate.
- Once the cookies have completely cooled, dip the front-facing side of the biscuit into the melted chocolate and spread evenly with a butter knife to coat. Replace back onto the cooling rack and wait for the chocolate to completely set. Enjoy!