Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
3 large sweet oranges
4 large free-range eggs
8 large (150g) Medjool dates, pitted & chopped*
3 cups (330g) almond meal
2 tsp (5g) baking powder
1 tsp vanilla bean powder (or good quality vanilla extract)
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 175C.
- Place 2 oranges (unpeeled) in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer covered for 45 minutes. (Make sure oranges remain covered with water). Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the remaining orange. Cover the bottom of a lined large round cake tin with the orange slices. Set aside.
- Cut cooled boiled oranges into quarters (discard any seeds).
- Place boiled oranges, eggs, dates, baking powder, and vanilla powder into a high powered blender and puree until smooth.
- In a medium bowl mix together orange puree with almond meal.
- Pour batter on top of orange slices in your cake tin and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until golden on top (depending on your oven). Check using a skewer. If still wet on the inside continue baking and check every 15 minutes.
- Allow to slightly cool for 15 minutes then turn out so the orange slices at the bottom become the top of your cake.