Giant Date and Ginger Scones
This weeks Recipe of the Week are these absolutely scrumptious Giant Date & Ginger Scones. We have a few scone lovers in the house and so Denise thought she’d bust out and try something creative after seeing this recipe in ‘Delicious’ magazine. They were certainly enjoyed by the staff here.
Serving Size: Makes 8 large scones
1/4 cup maple syrup (plus extra to brush)
1 tablespoon ground ginger
150g medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped
30g naked ginger, finely chopped
2 cups of cold buttermilk, shaken
150g chilled unsalted butter, coarsely grated.
- Preheat your oven to 200’C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl place the flours, maple syrup and ground ginger and mix to combine.
- Add the chopped dates and ginger and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk and grated butter and using a butter knife (or your finger tips), mix in to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until smooth (without overworking).
- Press or roll the dough until it is 3cm thick in height and then use a well-floured 8cm cutter to cut out each round.
- Gently press leftover dough together to cut out more rounds, discarding the remaining dough.
- Arrange your scones 3-4cm apart on the prepared tray and brush with extra maple syrup.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until risen and golden brown.
- Serve with a big spread of organic butter and enjoy.