Gluten & Dairy Free Iced Vovo Biscuits
This weeks recipe of the week from AW Instagram stylist Meg Phillips is simply divine. A delicious Vegan Iced Vovo biscuit made with a buckwheat base, homemade raspberry & chia seed jam and raspberry coconut cream. Super fun to make, and sensational to eat.
1.5 cups of organic buckwheat flour
1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
1/4 teaspoon of bicarb soda
1/8th teaspoon vanilla powder
2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup rice malt syrup
1/4 cup almond milk
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix the wet ingredients until well combined and then add to the dry ingredients mixing until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough onto a bench lightly floured with buckwheat flour.
- Then use a rolling pin to roll the dough until it is about half a centimetre thick.
- Using a large knife, cut into small rectangle sized biscuits (the shape you’d like for your iced vovos).
- With a fork, indent the edges of the biscuit (this step is optional but looks great on the end product).
- Place the yet to be cooked biscuits on a tray lined with baking paper and bake in the oven at 180’C for approximately 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Note, the biscuits will harden as they cool so don’t be fooled by their softness and overcook them.
Raspberry & Chia Jam
1 cup of frozen raspberries
1/2 cup organic chia seeds
1 tablespoon of water
2 tablespoons of rice malt syrup
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and melt over low heat.
- Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge to allow the jam to thicken.
Raspberry Coconut Cream
2 cups of organic desiccated coconut + 1/4 cup for sprinkling at the end
1/2 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
3 tablespoons rice malt syrup
small handful of raspberries
- Process all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy
To assemble the biscuits:
- Once the biscuits have cooled, spread a line of jam down the centre of each biscuit and a line on either side of the coconut cream before sprinkling with additional desiccated coconut.
- Best stored in the fridge and consumed within seven days.
Note: Assembly can be fiddly, but worth it.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free