Healthy Carrot Cake with Lemon Yoghurt Frosting (GF)
RECIPE OF THE WEEK : AFFORDABLE WHOLEFOODS
This weeks recipe of the week has been shared with us by recipe creator Tristen Van Der Kley from Balanced Body Nutrition – a delicious healthy carrot cake with an almond meal and coconut base. Super YUM and easy to make.
2 cups natural almond meal
2 cups carrot grated
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup of walnuts chopped and extra 1/4 cup for decoration (finely chopped)
4 tablespoons Natural Sugar Free Sweetener (Tris uses Nuvia)
1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg ground
3 eggs beaten
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil (Tris uses a light olive oil for baking)
1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk
200g Greek Yoghurt
1/4 lemon, zest and juice
1-2 tablespoons of Natural Sugar Free Sweetener (see above)
- Preheat your oven to 170’C and grease an 18-24cm cake tin with butter (Tris prefers to use organic grass fed – Organic Times from the AW fridge fits in this category for our locals)
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Place the eggs, olive oil and coconut milk in a seperate bowl and whisk until well combined, then add to the dry ingredients again mixing well.
- Pour the mix into the greased cake tin and smooth down the top with the wooden spoon.
- Bake in the oven 30-35 minutes until cooked through (tip: insert a skewer into the middle of the cake to test – if it comes out clean it’s ready). Once cooked, transfer to a rack and allow to cool.
- Combine the ingredients for frosting adding the Nuvia sweetener to taste. Keep the frosting in the fridge until you are ready to ice the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!
Gluten Free | Refined Sugar Free
You may also like our Orange & Almond Cake with Coconut Ganache