Lemon and Almond Cake
This weeks recipe of the week is a scrumptious tasting Lemon & Almond Cake. It is made up of just 6 ingredients, is easy to make and the end result is simply divine.
1 1/2 cups of blanched almond meal
4 eggs separated
1/2 cup organic raw sugar
1 tablespoon of grated lemon zest
1/4 cup flaked almonds
Icing sugar and lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- Grease a 9 inch cake pan and line the bottom with a circle of baking paper then preheat your oven to 180 ‘ celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 4 egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar then beat until thick and creamy and lightened in colour. You can use an electric beater if you have one.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of blanched almond meal and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest and use a spatula to fold and stir together until well combined.
- In a second mixing bowl, add 4 egg whites and beat together until stiff peaks form (you will need an electric beater for this to save time). Fold the egg whites one spoonful at a time into the almond meal mixture until you have an even consistency.
- Once all the egg whites are in and the mixture is smooth, transfer into the prepared baking tin and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes at the pre-warmed temperature or until the top is firm.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free