Lemony Lemon Tart
This weeks recipe inspiration (made by Denise) came from the Home Beautiful magazine. A deliciously lemony lemon tart with all the trimmings. This is a no holds barred dessert that will have your tastebuds singing with the lemon zing. Enjoy.
Almond Quinoa Pastry
1/2 cup organic rolled quinoa
1/2 cup blanched almond meal
1/2 cup organic unbleached plain flour
1/3 cup organic wholegrain plain flour
100g butter, chilled and cubed
2-3 teaspoons cold water
3-4 lemons (to taste), zest only grated (with no white pith)
2 tablespoons raw sugar
60g (2 tablespoons) of honey
3/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornflour
150ml coconut milk
3 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 180’C (160’C fan forced). Grease a pie dish or loose bottom tart tin and set aside.
- Place the rolled quinoa in a food processor or high powered blender and process until finely chopped.
- Add the almond meal, flours and butter and process until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add the egg and water and process until the mixture just comes together.
- Transfer the pastry onto a large, lightly floured sheet of baking paper or a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pastry (2-3 mm thickness) then drape the pastry over the rolling pin, gently removing baking paper and ease pastry into a prepared dish. Gently press the pastry into sides repairing any splits. Trim the overhanging edges with a knife and place the pastry tin into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with rice, dried beans or pie weights. Place the dish onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove baking paper and weights and bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place the lemon zest and sugar into a food processor or high powered blender and process until the sugar is an almost powdered consistency.
- Add the honey, lemon juice, cornflour, coconut milk, eggs and egg yolk and process until well combined.
- Place the tart tin (with the pastry) on a baking tray for stability. Strain the mixture through a sieve into the cooled pastry case. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until just set. Allow the tart to cool completely in the tin before serving (or refrigerate if preferred). Enjoy!