Maize Meal Cookies
This weeks Recipe of the Week is a simple Maize Meal Cookie. Easy to make and super tasty, they make a great lunchbox snack for school and work. Enjoy.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon Australian Vanilla Essence
1 large egg, room temperature
2 teaspoons of honey
1 1/4 cup stoneground unbleached plain wheat flour
3/4 cup organic maize meal
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Fine Pink Himalayan Salt
- Preheat the oven to 160’C fan forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars until you have a pale creamy mixture.
- Add the egg, vanilla essence and honey and mix again until well combined.
- In a seperate mixing bowl mix the plain flour and baking powder.
- Add the maize meal and salt and stir until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour and maize mix and stir until you have a thick cookie dough.
- Collect teaspoons of the cookie dough, roll into balls and place on the prepared baking trays.
- Press down gently to form flat rounds and bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool and enjoy.
Tip from the chef: Best baked and eaten fresh.