Peppermint Marshmallow Slice
This weeks recipe of the week is a Dark Chocolate Coated Peppermint Marshmallow slice with a delicious biscuit base, moist peppermint centre and a vegan dark chocolate topping.
Serving Size: Makes 24
3/4 cup organic stoneground wholegrain plain flour
1/4 cup organic self raising flour
2 tablespoons organic alkalised cocoa powder
1/3 cup brown sugar
100g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 egg beaten
3 teaspoons powdered gelatine
1/4 cup hot water
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup cold water
1 teaspoon peppermint essence
150g vegan dark chocolate buttons
2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180′ celsius, then grease and line a 28 x 18cm (approx.) slice tin with baking paper, extending the baking paper 5cm above the tin edges.
- Sift your flours and cocoa into a medium size bowl, then add the brown sugar, melted butter and egg and stir until well combined.
- Press the base mixture evenly into the slice tin and bake for around 15 minutes or until the base is firm to touch. Allow to cool
- For the marshmallow, place the hot water in a small heatproof jug and sprinkle in the gelatine powder. Fill a small saucepan with 3 cms of water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Once simmering, sit the jug in the saucepan and stir until the gelatine has dissolved. Once dissolved, remove from the saucepan and allow to cool.
- Place the sugar, cold water and essence in a small bowl and using your electric mixer beat/blend for 5 minutes.
- Whilst beating pour in the gelatine mixture slowly in a thin stream continuing to blend until the mixture forms glossy white peaks. Spread over the cooled base and refrigerate for 1 – 2 hours or otherwise until the mixture is set.
- For the topping, put the chocolate buttons and olive oil in a medium sized heatproof bowl standing it over a small saucepan of barely simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until melted and then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour and spread the chocolate mixture over the set marshmallow then refrigerate for about 1 hour or until the chocolate has set.
- Leave out of the fridge for 5 minutes before slicing then you are ready to serve. Enjoy.