Upside Down Pineapple Christmas Cake
RECIPE OF THE WEEK: Affordable Wholefoods
A delicious alternative Christmas cake recipe for those who aren’t into your traditional fruit cake. This cake is super moist and sweet and is perfect with a dollop of natural yoghurt or plain vanilla ice-cream.
Serving Size: 12
250 grams organic unsalted butter (halved into 125g quantities)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
12 canned full pineapple slices
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup organic raw sugar
2 free range eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
Glace cherries to decorate
- Pre-heat your oven to 155’C fan forced (175’C conventional) then prepare a baking dish (33 x 22 cm) by greasing it with butter and lining with baking paper.
- Melt half (125g) of butter in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir in a cup of brown sugar. Bring the mix to the boil, stirring frequently and then pour the mix into the prepared pan.
- Drain the juice from the pineapple tin reserving half a cup, then place the rings across in the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the softened butter with the raw sugar and remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and beat again until well combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture and continue to beat (on low speed if you are using an electric mixer). Pour in the milk and half a cup of the reserved pineapple juice. Once well mixed, add the remaining flour mixture and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Spread the mixture carefully over the pineapple slices in the pan and then bake for 35-40 minutes in the heated oven, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and dry.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for ten minutes (Do not invert the cake too soon).
- Place a serving tray or baking tray over the cake and carefully invert. If you have some pineapple sticking to the pan gently replace on top of the cake.
- Serve warm topped with glace cherries…enjoy!
Note: You will need 2 x 440g tins of pineapple for 12 slices.