Spicy Homemade Tomato Sauce
There are so many tomato sauce brands in the supermarket and as we discovered, it’s actually really simple to make your own. The benefits of course is that there are no preservatives or unknown additives.
After being inspired by a Jamie Oliver recipe we made this. It’s absolutely delicious, you’ll love it…..and spicy too! Great for pizza topping, pasta or sides dishes.
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 cups of basil leaves (packed down) picked and torn
500g soft ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- Heat the olive oil in a non stick pan and saute the garlic for 1 minute on medium to high heat.
- Add your chilli flakes, tomatoes and basil, squishing the tomatoes as much as possible.
- Season with salt & pepper, and bring to the boil for a minute before removing from the heat.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve pushing the bigger bits through with a spoon.
- Discard the basil & garlic that is left over (or use elsewhere).
- Pour the sauce back into the pan and bring to the boil, simmering for just 5 minutes.
Note: The sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or frozen in smaller quantities for convenience.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free