This week’s Recipe of the Week is an old family favourite from Janine Whitling of Janine’s Gluten-Free Kitchen. A creamy garlic sauce to accompany meat and veggies, but especially good with fish or lamb.
1 Cup Hulled Tahini, don’t be tempted to use unhulled!
2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
2 Lemons Juiced, make sure you get juicy ones
1 Tsp Cumin Powder
3/4 Cup Filtered Water
1 Tsp Salt, optional
1 Pinch Chilli Powder, optional
- In a bowl add the Tahini, lemon juice, garlic and cumin powder.
- Add 1/4 cup filtered water. Very gently stir until the mixture starts to bind and it becomes a bit thick. Do not keep stirring when it becomes very thick and curdled. This is the point to stop and add more water.
- Add another 1/4 cup water and stir gently until the water is mixed and it becomes thick again.
- Add the final 1/4 cup of water and stir gently. You’ll find now that the Tahini sauce becomes white and creamy. Stir for at least a minute so that it is very well combined. Use your kitchen senses here. The consistency should be like pouring cream, not a thick paste.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or even better overnight. The sauce will thicken and develop the flavours as it cools.
- Serve with your favourite fish, lamb or barbecued chicken.
- Makes a great salad dressing.
- Can be used to top cooked veggies, with a sprinkle of chopped herbs.
Vegan | Gluten-Free | Dairy-Free