This weeks Recipe of the Week is a Traditional Zaatar made with dried herbs, sesame seeds and sea salt. A simple recipe that you can dress up many dishes with. Enjoy.
2 tablespoons dried oregano blend
1 tablespoon sumac
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix well.
- For enhanced flavour, warm the spices together in a medium skillet over medium heat until fragrant and the sesame seeds start to turn golden.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Skip steps 2 and 3 if you will be baking your zaatar on pita bread directly as this will do the same thing.
- Store your zaatar in an air-tight container or glass jar at room temperature for up to one month.
- Mix zaatar with olive oil and spread it over pita bread (or pita dough) before baking.
- Mix with olive oil and drizzle over labheh, Greek yoghurt or hummus.
- Roll extra thick rounds of labneh or a log of goat cheese in the dry spice mixture.
- Use the olive oil mixture as a marinade or the plain spice blend as a dry rub.
Olive oil ratio: Two parts zaatar to one part olive oil with yield a thick and spreadable consistency. Equal parts yield a drizzly sauce.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free