Grain Free Granola
One of the simplest options for a healthy breakfast is to make your own granola. Granola’s are simple to make and contain loads of nutrition owing to the quality ingredients that go in them. Here is a simple grain free granola from Naturopathy student and wholefoods lover Nat Russell. Nat made this one when embarking on a gut healing journey years ago. It is free from gluten, grains, dairy, eggs, nuts and refined sugar. Nat says it is still one of her go to favourite breakfasts. Enjoy.
2 cups raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 cups sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chia or sesame seeds
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or powder
small pinch of sea salt
2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup dried fruit (sultanas, goji berries and chopped apricots)
- Preheat your oven to 160’C
- In a large mixing bowl combine the pepitas, sunflower seeds, chia/sesame seeds, vanilla and sea salt.
- In a small pan over low heat, melt the coconut oil and honey together until it is runny and well combined (don’t overheat).
- Add the honey and coconut oil mixture to the seeds and mix through to combine.
- Line two oven trays with baking paper and evenly spread the seed mixture.
- Place the trays in the oven and turn regularly every few minutes for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Take the trays out and evenly add the shredded coconut.
- Mix the coconut in well and then bake for a further 5 – 10 minutes being careful to turn so the coconut doesn’t burn.
- Once the coconut is golden, remove and allow to cool before mixing through the dried fruit.
- Store in a large glass jar that seals well. Enjoy.
Enjoy as a smoothie topper or plain with almond or coconut milk and coconut yoghurt.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free | Paleo