Smokey Black Beans with Lime Smashed Avocado on Sourdough
This weeks Recipe of the Week is a delicious vegan breakfast recipe from Anthea Amore, cooked and photographed by Affordable Wholefoods owner Denise Evans. It features black turtle beans, fresh tomato and onion, lime and avocado and is best served on a piping hot crusty sourdough. Enjoy.
Serving Size: makes 4
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 50-70 minutes
1 cup black turtle beans (soaked overnight in 3 cups of filtered water)
3 cups of water (for cooking)
1/4 cup of lime juice
1 teaspoon quality sea salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
5-6 large basil leaves, shredded
2 tablespoons cold pressed olive oil
1/2 small red onion, very finely diced (optional)
1 small garlic clove, minced (optional)
2 small tomatoes, finely diced
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
4 slices of toast (we used sourdough)
Drizzle of cold pressed olive oil, lime juice
Black pepper, smoked paprika, shredded basil leaves and carrot curls, for garnishing
Lime or lemon wedges to serve
Lime Smashed Avocado
2 medium avocados
1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons quality salt
- Rinse the soaked black beans and cook in the extra 3 cups of filtered water for 50-70 minutes or until soft (see tip below).
- Rinse under cool water and place the drained beans in a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, salt, smoked paprika, basil, olive oil, red onion, garlic, tomato and sesame seeds.
- Lightly mash and combine ingredients until they are mixed well.
- For the Lime Smashed Avo, roughly mash the avo with 1/4 cup lime juice and salt.
- Place your toast on serving plates and top with the black beans. Dollop the avocado smash and drizzle with oil, adding extra lime juice the garnishes.
In the cooler months, warm the beans before serving.
When cooking your beans, be aware that some take longer then others because of their age and quality. If they’re taking longer to cook, you will need to add more water.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free
To see more from Anthea’s vegan cookbooks visit her website here.