Mark & Steve’s Seedy Bar
This week’s recipe of the week has been shared by local customers Mark & Steve. A delicious and nutritious seedy snack that the Affordable Wholefoods staff couldn’t get enough of. Enjoy!
½ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
¾ cup flaked coconut
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ cup macadamia nuts (halved)
½ cup almonds (halved, lengthways)
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup linseed (flax seeds)
½ cup dried cranberries (or dates, halved)
½ cup organic Turkish dried apricots (cut into thirds)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon Australian sea salt flakes (lightly crushed)
½ cup raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toast the coconut in a pan until golden brown. Do the same with the sesame seeds, halved almonds and halved macadamia nuts. (This step is optional, but we found it results in a much tastier end flavour.)
- Mix all dry ingredients well, except the salt
- Add vanilla to the honey & warm gently to make it less viscous. (About 25 seconds in the microwave or on the stovetop at a low heat)
- Add honey & vanilla mixture to dry ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Sprinkle crushed salt flakes over the mixture and gently fold through the mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a 20cm x 20cm tin which has been lined with baking paper.
- Level the mix & using a spatula, press the mix as firmly as possible. You may need to dip the spatula into hot water occasionally to stop it sticking.
- Bake for 1 hour at 160 degrees Celsius.
- After about 45 minutes take it out of the oven and give it another good ‘pressing’ with the spatula, dipping in hot water if necessary, to stop it sticking.
- Return to the oven for the remainder of the cooking time.
- When cooked, give it another ‘pressing’ with the spatula and allow to cool fully in the tin. Once cool, remove from tin & slice into 16 pieces.
- If you like it extra crunchy, preheat the oven again to 160c. Place the slices upside-down on a tray lined with baking paper and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Enjoy after it is completely cooled.
Vegetarian | Gluten-Free | Refined Sugar-Free