Our Best Ever Winter Dahl Recipe
A scrumptious warming dahl recipe perfect for winter using a combination of classic Punjabi spices, onions, garlic and black urid dahl. This one will certainly warm your bellies!
Serving size: 4
1 cup black urid dahl
1 red onion chopped
2 large whole tomatoes pureed (approx. 1 cup)
2-3 garlic cloves crushed
1-inch ginger grated
1 green chilli finely chopped
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon garam marsala powder
2 tablespoons macadamia or olive oil
3 – 3.5 cups water
Salt to taste
Fresh chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Soak the black dahl in water for 4-5 hours or overnight, then rinse well.
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds until they start to sizzle, then add the onions and sauté until soft (on medium heat).
- Add the pureed tomatoes, ginger and garlic and mix well.
- Add all the dry spices and the chopped green chillies and sauté for 5-8 minutes until the mixture starts becoming dry.
- Add the soaked black urid dahl, water and salt.
- Simmer for 40-50 minutes or until dahl is soft.
For extra nutrition and flavour, you can add a vegetable to this recipe. Our favourites include sweet potato, pumpkin, spinach or kale. Enjoy!
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegetarian | Vegan | Sugar Free