WILD RICE SALAD WITH MINTED BEETROOT YOGHURT
This week’s Recipe of the Week was inspired by a recipe from ‘Whole’ by Natural Harry and shared by store owner Denise. Wild Rice Salad with Minted Beetroot Yoghurt. The crunchy, herby salad is complemented perfectly by the creamy, probiotic-rich minted beetroot dressing. The perfect salad to welcome in the spring. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 cup of wild rice, washed
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos*
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1/3 cup beetroot, grated
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on low.
- Add the sunflower kernels, pine nuts and almonds and gently toast until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Bring to boil 6 cups of water, add the wild rice and continue cooking, reducing heat as necessary to maintain an active simmer for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the coconut yoghurt, beetroot and lemon juice to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add the chopped mint and stir well. Spread the beetroot yoghurt mixture over two serving plates.
- Combine all the salad ingredients and serve on top of the beetroot yoghurt.
*Coconut aminos is a dark-coloured sauce that tastes similar to soy sauce. Instead of being made from soy, however, coconut aminos comes from the sap of the coconut plant. Soy sauce can be used as a substitute.
Dairy-free | Gluten-free | Vegan