Vegan Curried Lentil Pies
This weeks recipe comes to us from Morag Turnball. Morag is a northern rivers local and shops regularly in our Lismore store. She is passionate about veganism and has a fantastic instagram page where she posts her recipes to inspire others.
Here is a delicious winter/spring lentil pie recipe suitable for the whole family.
Makes 6-8 pies
2 cups green (brown) lentils, rinsed
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tablespoons plain flour
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 teaspoons mild curry powder
Vegan shortcrust pastry
Vegan puff pastry
Olive oil, for sautéing and greasing
Plant (Almond) milk, for brushing
- Cook lentils in 4 cups of water until tender.
- Sauté onion and carrot in oil until onion is translucent and carrot is tender.
- Add in garlic, cooked lentils with water, flour, soy sauce and curry powder. Combine well and cook for a few minutes until the water has evaporated and the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Leave to cool.
- To assemble, grease muffin holes with vegan butter or oil.
- Place a ¼ square of a standard pastry sheet into one hole and press down into the corners, ensure pastry covers all sides. Place lentil mixture inside the pastry, filling to the top of the muffin pan. Cut a circle of puff pastry to match the size of the top of the hole. Place on top of the mixture and press sides down into the bottom pastry. Brush the top of the circle with oil or plant milk.
- Repeat this process until no filling remains.
- Cook at 180˚C for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- A large muffin pan with a diameter of 10 cm will yield approximately 7 pies.
- Both shortcrust and puff pastries are suitable for the base of the pie, puff pastry is best for the top.
Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegan