Beetroot & Black Bean Burgers (GF/DF)
This weeks recipe of the week is from Casey-Lee Lyons of Live Love Nourish. The recipe was originally made in collaboration with Roza’s Gourmet Sauces – a great business that sells a variety of chutneys, pesto’s and mayos online and around the country. The burger patty is made using black turtle beans (one of our favourite here in store) and is a bit of fun using roasted sweet potato in place of a burger bun. Enjoy!
1 medium to large sweet potato
1/2 cup black turtle beans (cooked and drained)
1 cup grated raw beetroot
1 cup cooked & cooled quinoa
1 cup cooked & mashed pumpkin
1/4 small red onion, finely diced
1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of salt and pepper
Your Favourite Toppings:
4 tablespoons of Roza’s Gourmet Chilli Mustard
1 tablespoons of Roza’s Gourmet Horseradish Dressing
1/2 cup lettuce leaves
1 large tomato, sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180’C.
- Slice your sweet potato into rounds about 1/2 cm in thickness.
- Brush each side of the sweet potato with olive il and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until tender (turning half way).
- In a mixing bowl, mash the cooked black beans (or pulse in a blender or processor).
- In your food processor add the beans along with the beetroot, quinoa, pumpkin, onion, chilli, cumin, salt and pepper and pulse until well mixed to form a textured paste.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper and using egg rings fill in each egg ring on your tray with the patty mix, pressing down into shape.
- Remove the egg ring and repeat until you have no mixture left. (If you don’t have an egg ring just mould into a circular shape with your hands).
- Bake the patties in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until cooked and firm to hold.
- Make your burgers with sweet potato at the bottom topped with Roza’s chilli mustard, lettuce and a patty. Top the patty with Roza’s Horseradish dressing, tomato and a second sweet potato on top. Serve whilst hot. Enjoy!
Inspiration: For even more flavour try adding a little of Roza’s Dairy Free Pesto
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegan | Grain Free | Refined Sugar Free
To see more from Casey-Lee you can visit her website here