Coconut Chicken Curry
This weeks Recipe of the Week is a superb coconut chicken curry…and just in time for the cooler weather to start setting in. We’ve served this curry with the recent Baked Lemon & Curry Leaf Rice.
Ottolenghi inspired….the image speaks for itself.
500g chicken breast fillets sliced
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 small red onion
5 cloves of garlic
2 inch piece of ginger
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 small red onions chopped
10 curry leaves
1 cup of tomato passata
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
1 can of coconut milk
- Marinate the sliced chicken in the pepper, turmeric, vinegar and salt for about 20 minutes.
- Crush in a mortar and pestle or use a food processor to make a coarse paste with the onion, garlic, ginger and fennel seeds.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan and add the chopped onions and curry leaves. Saute until the onions are soft.
- Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, crushed chilli and garam masala and saute for a few minutes more.
- Add the crushed paste and saute until the smell of raw garlic disappears.
- Add the passata and marinated chicken pieces with 1/3 cup of water than cover and cook on medium heat until the chicken cooks through.
- Remove the lid then continue to cook on medium heat until the curry sauce starts to thicken up.
- Add the coconut cream and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes more, than remove from heat and serve hot with a side of rice. Enjoy.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free