Creamy Mixed Vegetable Curry
Inspired by the traditional flavours of central India, this simple Vegetable Curry will be a winner with the whole family.
Serving size: 4
100g dried chickpeas cooked (or 1 x 400g tin)
3 tablespoons Olive oil
3 cloves of garlic diced
1 red onion finely chopped
½ teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
¼-1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes (depending on taste)
2 large ripe tomatoes diced
2 carrots halved lengthways and sliced finely into sticks
150g green beans cut into bite size pieces
1 medium sweet potato cubed
1 tablespoon tapioca flour (dissolved in 2 tablespoons water)
1 red capsicum diced
400ml coconut milk
Salt to season
½ cup flaked almonds
½ lime cut into cubes
- Soak the chickpeas overnight, rinse well and cook for 30 minutes and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat and saute the garlic, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, onion, black pepper and chilli flakes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the ground turmeric and coriander and saute for a minute longer before adding the diced tomato, capsicum, carrot, beans, sweet potato and rinsed chickpeas.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes allowing the tomatoes to reduce a little before slowly adding the coconut milk, stirring the whole time. Simmer for another 10 minutes, then add the tapioca and stir for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Toast the almonds under the grill or in a hot saucepan until golden brown and garnish the dish alongside the lime wedges.
Substitute the chickpeas for another legume of your choice. Our favourites include French Puy lentils, Black Urid dahl or Mung beans.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegan | Vegetarian | Sugar Free | Warming