Last years Christmas party saw the whole team come together to share a meal celebrating another year at Affordable Wholefoods. We each brought along a dish to share and Denise’s contribution was her take on the traditional Greek recipe ‘Spanakopita’. It took just a few minutes for the plate to be empty, so we decided to remake it and share with our readers. Hope you enjoy as much as we did.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 spring onions, sliced
1 large bunch of silverbeet, roughly chopped (stems removed)
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 cup crumbled feta
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg
1 tablespoon fresh dill (chopped)
2 eggs lightly beaten + 1 extra egg yolk
Handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
375 g filo pastry
1 teaspoon of Nigella seeds
2 teaspoons pine nuts
- Preheat your oven to 180’C
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat and saute the garlic and spring onions for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add the silverbeet, then cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted.
- Drain and set aside to cool, squeezing out any excess liquid.
- Toast the 1/3 cup of pine nuts in a dry saucepan on the stove, being careful not to burn.
- Combine the cheeses, nutmeg, dill and the lightly beaten egg mix in a large bowl. Stir in the cooled silverbeet mixture, parsley and toasted pine nuts.
- Lay down 3 sheets of filo pastry on top of one another and spoon a few tablespoons of the filling evenly along the edge of the pastry. Roll to form a sausage shape, neatly tucking in the sides. Do this 3-4 times until your filling is used up, making sure the thickness of each sausage is even.
- Place your filo sausage in the centre of an oiled round pie or quiche dish and form a spiral. Keep going until the entire dish is full (see image above).
- Brush the spirals liberally with olive oil and then sprinkle with Nigella seeds and pine nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with fresh salad greens and chilli sauce.
Vegetarian | Refined Sugar Free
If you like this recipe you may also like our Gluten Free Swiss Chard Quiche