Gluten Free Millet Falafels
Light & fluffy and super delicious, we so enjoyed making and eating these millet falafels. A different take on a gluten free vegetarian pattie that uses millet grain, vegetables and our yummy Italian mixed herbs. This is a recipe that even the fussiest eater will love…and bonus – super simple to make as well.
Serving size: Makes 18 falafels
1 cup millet grain
¼ cup onion diced
¼ cup red bell peppers diced
¼ cup carrots diced
1 garlic clove sliced
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
½ tablespoon Italian mixed herbs
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 egg beaten
Preparing your millet
- Soak your millet overnight
- Drain and rinse
- Place the millet in a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups of water
- Bring to the simmer and cover, stirring occasionally. Simmer until liquid has evaporated.
- Fluff with a fork and your millet is now ready for the recipe (use millet whilst still warm for best binding).
Preparing your falafel
- Place the onion, capsicum, carrot, garlic and Italian herbs in your food processor and pulse and until vegetables are in tiny pieces.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the vegetables. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Place the millet, vegetables and egg in a bowl and thoroughly combine.
- Form patties with about 2 tablespoons of the mixture each.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the patties in olive oil for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Your patties are now ready to serve.
Serve alongside a crisp and delicious green salad in summer/spring or roasted root vegetables in the cooler weather.
Try in a fresh homemade tortilla wrap with fresh tzatziki or hummus and garden greens.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegetarian | Vegan | Delicious
Read more here about other Gluten Free Grains from Naturopath Casey-Lee Lyons