Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This weeks Recipe of the Week has been shared with us by Casey-Lee Lyons of Live Love Nourish. We love the versatility of this recipe – a hearty vegetarian dish that can be enjoyed anytime of year. Enjoy.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour
4 small sweet potatoes
For the filling:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large brown onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika (sweet)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 x 400g can black beans, drained (or the equivalent soaked and cooked black beans from the store)
1 cup sweet cherry tomatos
1/4 small red onion, diced
juice of 1 fresh lime
Good quality salt and pepper
2 avocados, mashed
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
pinch of good quality salt
fresh coriander to serve
fresh red chilli, sliced to serve
- Pre-heat a fan-forced oven to 180’C.
- wash and pat dry the sweet potatoes. Wrap each sweet potato in foil and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour or until each is soft in the centre.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling and toppings.
- To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Saute over low to medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft and fragrant. Add the garlic and stir until the onions caramelise.
- Stir through cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander and black beans.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the guacamole topping, in a mixing bowl combine the mashed avocado with red onion, lime juice, cumin and salt. Adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through and cool enough to handle, remove the foil and cut lengthways to create an opening, being careful not to cut the whole way through.
- Spoon the filling into each sweet potato and top with salsa and guacamole.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and chilli and you are ready to serve.
Note: To add animal protein add some shredded or minced cooked chicken, beef, pork or lamb to the caramelised onions to warm through.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegetarian |Refined Sugar Free
To download the Live Love Nourish free recipe e-book or to browse through their recipes visit www.livelovenourish.com.au or follow them on social media: