Mini Mexican Bean Pies
A delicious winter pie recipe using our favourite pinto, black turtle and red kidney beans with the classic flavours of Mexico. A great winter warmer.
Serving Size : Makes 14 mini pies or 2 medium size pies
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion diced
2 cloves of garlic crushed
3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
5 large tomatoes chopped
4 cups cooked dried pinto, black turtle and red kidney beans (or two 400g tins of mixed beans)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup cooked corn kernels
1 cup grated cheese (optional)
Sea salt & pepper to season
For the pastry:
4 cups khorasan (wheat) flour
3/4 cup cold water
Pinch of celtic salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 egg yolk
- On medium heat, saute the onions & garlic in olive oil until soft (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add the spices and cook for another 3 minutes stirring well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/2 the cooked beans.
- Mash the remaining cooked beans and add to the mix, continuing to stir regularly.
- Now add the corn and cook on medium heat for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add a little water if the mixture becomes too thick and then set aside to cool.
- Now for your pastry; sift the flour and add the cumin seeds and salt.
- Add the chopped butter and rub in with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Slowly add enough cold water small bits at a time until a dough has formed.
- Divide the dough into 3/4 and 1/4 amounts. Roll out the 3/4 ‘s of dough to a 2-3mm thickness.
- Cut into small circular sizes to fit your muffin trays. (the quantity should equate to the base and sides of the pie.
- Fill the pastry centres with your bean mix (3/4 to the top) and sprinkle with cheese (if using).
- Roll out the 1/4 dough put aside to 2 mm thick and then cut to make a lid for the pie. Add a bit of egg yolk to the edges then press the edges with a fork to seal.
- Cut slits into the pie tops to allow for the steam to come out.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 160’C for 20 minutes or until pies are golden brown.
Vegetarian | Sugar Free