Mushroom & Lentil Lasagna
This week’s Recipe of the Week is inspired by Georgia Harding from Well Nourished and has been shared by manager Kym Chandler. A delicious gluten-free & dairy-free mushroom and lentil lasagna, Yum!
- ¾ cup French Puy lentils pre-soaked overnight
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 15 ml extra virgin olive oil (1 tbs)
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 stick celery finely diced
- 2 carrots grated
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 250g swiss brown or portobello mushrooms
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 400g diced tinned tomatoes (or 6 vine-ripened Roma tomatoes) diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Kale chopped (2 cups)
- 200g dried GF lasagne sheets
- Vegan grated cheese for topping
Vegan (dairy-free) cheese sauce
- ½ head of cauliflower
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of plant-based milk
- Heat a large pan over a low heat and add the olive oil. Add the chopped garlic, onion, celery, bay leaves, dried thyme and gently sauté.
- Add the grated carrot and saute for another few minutes.
- Pop the mushrooms into a food processor and pulse to a coarse consistency. Add them to the pan with the drained Puy lentils, walnuts, tomato paste, stock, Worcestershire sauce and diced tomatoes. Season, stir to combine and allow to simmer with the lid ajar, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens and the lentils are cooked. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, add the chopped kale and stir through to wilt it. Taste, adjust the seasoning if you need to, remove from the heat and set aside.
Cheese Sauce Method
- Steam cauliflower, then puree with nutritional yeast, a generous pinch of sea salt and pepper and a dash of plant-based milk to achieve a Béchamel consistency.
- To assemble the lasagne, use a medium-size baking dish (25 x 25cm), placing half of the lentil sauce in the base, top with lasagne sheets, then the remaining lentil sauce, another layer of pasta and finish with the dairy-free cheese sauce and vegan grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 – 45 minutes or until the lasagne is cooked through.
Gluten-Free | Dairy-Free | Vegan