Penne Lentil Bake (GF, Vegan)
This weeks Recipe of the Week is a tasty Lentil & Pasta Bake by Affordable Wholefoods owner Denise Evans. Using our favourite organic French puy lentils and gluten free rice & quinoa penne pasta, it has delicious Mediterranean flavours and is both vegan and gluten free. You’ll love serving this and enjoying the lefts overs next day.
2 cups of cooked French puy lentils
4 tablespoons vegan margarine (ie Nuttlelex)
1 large red onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small red capsicum, chopped
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
1 can of diced tomatoes (400g)
1 cup tomato passata
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 bunch silverbeet chopped
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups of cooked Quinoa & Rice Penne Pasta
1 1/3 cups Almond Milk
2 tablespoons tapioca starch
2 tablespoons rice flour
sea salt and black pepper (as required)
1/3 cup savoury yeast flakes
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the margarine in a large saucepan then saute the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the garlic, capsicum and mushrooms to the saucepan together with the tomatoes, basil, silverbeet, oregano, passata and cinnamon. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and leave to simmer. After 10 minutes add the cooked lentils and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of margarine in another small saucepan and sprinkle in the tapioca and rice flours. Slowly stir in the almond milk to make a white sauce. Season well with salt and black pepper, then remove from the heat and stir in the savoury yeast flakes.
- Oil a large casserole dish and put 1/2 the cooked pasta on the bottom of the dish, then pour over the lentil mixture on top of the pasta. Add the remaining penne pasta on top of the lentil mixture.
- Finally, spoon the sauce over the top of the pasta and sprinkle over some cracked pepper. Bake in the oven at 200’C for about 1/2 an hour.
- Enjoy hot or cold with a side of salad greens.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegan