Pumpkin with Brown Rice & Toasted Seeds
We love putting together simple meals with fresh wholefood ingredients. Pepitas (especially toasted) add a whole other dimension to any dish with their delicious flavour and crunch. Here we combine 3 of our favourite wholefoods to make the perfect vegetarian meal….brown rice, butter nut pumpkin and pepitas. Our recipe calls for both feta and parmesan cheese, though if you are looking for a vegan alternative, you could easily substitute these with some fresh baby spinach leaves and an additional seed such as toasted sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
Serving size: 4
300g Organic Brown Rice
100ml olive oil
1/2 red onion (finely chopped)
400g peeled butternut pumpkin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (coursely ground)
1/2 cup vegetable stock
8 large kalamata olives, roughly sliced
80 g Feta cheese, crumbled
80g Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons pepitas
- Cook rice until tender and drain well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a non stick saucepan over medium to high hear ta saute the onion, stirring occasionally until caramelised (approx 6 minutes).
- Add the diced pumpkin and stir occasionally until it starts to golden on the outside (approx 4 minutes).
- Add the spices and stir until fragrant (1 minute).
- Add your stock and bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer, covered, until the pumpkin is tender (approx 2-3 minutes).
- Remove the pumpkin mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a non stick pan on medium to high heat and add the rice. Stir occasionally until the rice starts to toast.
- Plate up some of your rice, then top with the pumpkin mix.
- Scatter the olives, cheeses and toasted pepitas on top and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil and drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
Gluten Free | Vegetarian | Refined Sugar Free