Rustic Vegetarian Cottage Pie (with TVP)
This weeks Recipe of the Week is a wholesome and hearty Rustic Cottage Pie made using TVP mince. Featuring cajun spiced roasted potatoes, this is a great one to make before the weather starts warming again.
500g baby potatoes
2 teaspoons cajun spice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
500g TVP mince soaked for 1 hour in water, then drained
3/4 cup green peas
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup 100% corn flour
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 dried bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180’C.
- Wash and cut the baby potatoes in half (for best results steam them first for about 10-12 minutes) and spread them out on a large baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cajun spice, toss a little and then bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frypan on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, then add the carrots, celery and peas and cook for a further 4 minutes until softened.
- Turn up the heat and add prepared TVP, heat through for another 4 minutes. Add the flour and mix through.
- Add the tomato paste, stock, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil then turn the heat back to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes to reduce the pie mixture down to a thickened consistency. Season more here to taste if necessary.
- When ready, transfer to a square pie dish.
- Lightly smash the baked potatoes with a fork and place on top of the pie mixture until the top is covered with the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven on 180’C. Enjoy on its own for with a side of broccolini or salad.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegan