Sweet Potato and Lentil Pie
This weeks recipe of the week is a delicious sweet potato and french puy lentil pie. Perfect for the winter weather and highly recommended by the staff. Two thumbs up for this one.
Serving size: 6-8 people
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 stalks of celery, finely diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 tablespoon of chilli paste or 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 1/4 cup French puy lentils, rinsed
2 x 400g tin diced tomatos
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano blend
1kg sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 3cm pieces
100g cheddar cheese, grated
20g unsalted butter
300g baby spinach
Cracked pepper to season
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium to high heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook until the onion has softened.
- Add the chilli paste/flakes and lentils and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato, oregano, parsley and 3 cups of water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer partially covered for 1 hour (or a bit more) until the lentils are tender and sauce has thickened. Add extra water if the mixture is too dry.
- Cook the chopped sweet potatoes in a large saucepan of water until softened.
- Drain then mash back in the pot adding the cheese and butter.
- Preheat the oven to 180’C and grease a 2 litre baking dish. Lay 1/3 of the spinach on the base of the dish and cover with the lentil mixture. Repeat this 3 more times and then top with the mashed sweet potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with cracked pepper and bake for 45 minutes until the sweet potato goes a bit brown and crispy on top.
Gluten Free | Refined Sugar Free
For a vegan option, remove the butter and cheddar cheese.