Sweet Potato and Lentil Sausage Rolls
This weeks recipe of the week is a super delicious vegetarian Sweet Potato & Lentil Sausage Roll. Made using our organic French Puy lentils and rolled oats, they are great for family dinners or weekend picnics.
Recipe makes 30
10 sheets of filo pastry
1 egg, beaten
1 red onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons Moroccan Spice
400g Sweet Potato, peeled and grated
200g french puy lentils, cooked
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cup vintage cheddar
2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 egg, beaten
- To make the filling, heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until soft.
- Add the spice and cook for a further minute then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining oil to the same hot pan and cook the sweet potato for about 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked sweet potato to the onions bowl and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200’C and line 2 large oven trays with baking paper. Add the lentils, breadcrumbs, oats, cheese, parsley and egg to the sweet potato mixture. Season and mix well.
- Divide the filling mixture into 5 portions. Lay out two sheets of filo pastry (one on top of the other) at a time. Shape the mixture into a firm log at one end of the filo pastry. Roll up to enclose the filling, brushing the edge of the pastry with egg before rolling over to seal. Repeat this 4 more times.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces (it helps to use a bread knife). Place the seam side down on the lined oven trays and brush the tops with egg.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a tomato relish of your choice.