Vegan Bean Curry
This weeks recipe of the week is a tasty bean curry suitable for the vegan diet. Using three types of beans; black turtle (a favourite here), red kidney beans and chickpeas, it makes a great curry to have with rice or quinoa, or you can change things up a little and try curried bean nachos or tacos. Enjoy…
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of grated ginger
1 teaspoon of grated garlic
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 x 400g tins of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup red kidney beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup of chickpeas, cooked, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon of mild curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
Sea salt to taste
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons of chopped coriander to garnish
Fresh lemon juice, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium heat, waiting until the oil is hot before adding the cumin seeds. Stir until they start to crackle.
- Add the chopped onions and chilli flakes and saute for 5 minutes or until the onions soften and are translucent.
- Add the grated ginger and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes until simmering.
- Now add the curry powder, turmeric, cumin, garam masala and mix well. Cook the spices with the tomato for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in your beans, mixing well. Cover the pan and allow to cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and a little water if the mix is too thick, and add your salt to taste.
- Let the curry simmer for 5 more minutes before serving hot with rice or quinoa, a garnish of coriander and optional squeeze of fresh lemon. Enjoy.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegan | Refined Sugar Free
Shop Recipe Ingredients