Vegan Mac n Cheese
This weeks Recipe of the Week is a classic recipe made vegan by Meg Phillips. Meg’s Vegan Mac n Cheese features nutritional yeast flakes, cashew nuts and rice & quinoa pasta so it’s also suitable for those on a gluten free diet. Enjoy!
Serving Size: Serves 4
3 cups of rice and quinoa penne
1 brown onion, finely chopped
4 mushrooms, sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 20 minutes
500g pumpkin, boiled
2 tablespoons of tapioca flour
1/2 cup of savoury yeast flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley, cherry tomatoes and olives to serve, optional.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 12 – 15 minutes until soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, saute the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring for another 5 minutes.
- Drain the water from the cashews and add to a blender with the cooked pumpkin, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup a cup of water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour this ‘cheese’ mixture into the frying pan with the onions, garlic and mushrooms and turn off the heat.
- Add the cooked pasta to the frying pan and mix until all the pasta is coated in the ‘cheese’.
- Optionally serve with fresh parsley, cherry tomatoes and sliced olives. Enjoy!
Gluten Free | Vegan | Refined Sugar Free
To see more from Meg you can visit her Instagram page here