Alfalfa seeds are used to make alfalfa sprouts. Sprouting alfalfa at home is easy when you know how (see instructions below) and eating them has many benefits. Besides the fact that they are delicious in salads, on sandwiches, or simply on their own, Alfalfa is known for its many and varied health properties. These include detoxing the urinary tract, cleansing the blood, alkalising the whole body, easing digestive problems and promoting healthy digestion and bowl movements as well as supporting healthy hydration. In fact this is only half of what the plant is said to do.
Alfalfa is rich in vitamins and minerals including Vitamins A, C, D, E and K, folate, manganese, iron, magnesium, niacin riboflavin and copper. It also contains chlorophyll.
Alfalfa in the Kitchen:
As mentioned above alfalfa is a delicious addition to salads and sandwiches, and is also a great garnish for a savoury breakfast.
Sprouting your own Alfalfa:
- Place a dessert spoon of alfalfa seeds into a medium size glass jar and soak overnight covered with water.
- Drain and rinse the seeds.
- Cover the glass jar with a mesh cloth or stocking and seal with an elastic band.
- Turn the jar upside down placed on an angle (so that air can still enter and circulate) and leave this way for the duration of sprouting.
- Rinse daily returning to the draining position until the sprouts are approx 1 cm long then place in direct sunlight for 2 to 3 hours whilst they green up.
- Place in the fridge ready to eat. Enjoy.
Country of Origin
Product of Australia
This list of benefits for Alfalfa is lengthy. Traditionally in Chinese Medicine they have been used to stimulate digestion and relieve ulcers. In Indian Ayurvedic Medicine they have been used to promote red blood cell production, to treat water retention and ulcers and also to relieve arthritis. The benefits of Alfalfa are largely due to the high mineral and vitamin content as well as the plant containing high levels of chlorophyll.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
|Nutritional Information – Alfalfa Seed, Raw, Sprouted|
|Fat, Total (g)||0.7|
|– Fat, Saturated (g)||0.1|
|Carbohydrate, Total (g)||2.1|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||1.9|
*All measurements are approximate and should be used as a guide only. Affordable Wholefoods is not liable for any discrepancy.
100% Alfalfa seed
Grown and packed in Australia
Our products are delivered by Australia Post only and usually arrive within 3-5 working days. For shipping rates visit our Terms and Conditions here.