Spelt Soft Dough Pretzels
This weeks recipe has been contributed by Vitamin Specialist Robyn-Anne Rose. When she is not working in the pharmacy Robyn loves to be in her kitchen preparing healthy, delicious, plant-based meals for her family. Robyn also has her own blog ‘Vitamins & Sprouts’ and has recently written her first book set for publish in early 2017 titled ‘Vitamin ME: how to successfully shop the vitamin aisle’.
Servings: Makes 6-8 pretzels
1 cup water
2 ¾ cups organic sustainable plain spelt flour
2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons raw sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil spread (ie. nuttelex or dairy free margarine)
1 beaten egg (Vegan diets may substitute 1 tablespoon of olive oil)
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
- Layer ingredients into bread machine as listed above and run on dough setting.
- Once finished remove dough and place on floured surface.
- Boil 8 cups of water with 1 tablespoon of salt in a large pot.
- Break dough into 6-8 pieces and roll out to 30 cm in length.
- Shape into pretzels and lower into boiling water, one at a time, on a large slotted spoon.
- Boil on one side for 30 seconds and then flip pretzel over and cook the other side for 30 seconds.
- Remove from water and place on a greased baking tray.
- Paint the pretzels with egg wash or olive oil and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200 °C.
- Serve warm with White Bean & Mustard Dip (see below)
White Bean & Mustard Dressing
1 can of cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cloves garlic
½ cup tahini
Juice of half a lemon
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
¼ cup unsweetened coconut yoghurt (may substitute with Greek yoghurt)
- Place all ingredients except the mustard and yoghurt in a food processor and combine till smooth.
- Transfer bean mix to a mixing bowl and fold through the leftover ingredients. Enjoy.
Dairy Free | Vegan | Vegetarian