Caramelised Honey & Almond Slice
This weeks Recipe of the Week has been inspired by a Matt Preston specialty from Delicious Magazine. This slice is traditional home style cooking at its best and wonderful if you have a sweet tooth. It’s also simple to make. Two thumbs up from the team.
Serving size: makes approximately 16 slices
90g unsalted butter, melted
120g brown sugar
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 cup (70g) almond meal
125g unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup (200g) slivered almonds
- Preheat your oven to 170’Celcius. Grease a 19cm x 30cm pan (or similar) and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Combine the butter, sugar, flour and almond meal in a large bowl and mix well to combine (if the mix seems floury, add a little extra butter).
- Spread evenly over the base of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and stand on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, to make the topping, place the butter and honey in a small heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is lightly caramelised.
- Stir in the nuts and then pour evenly over the cooked base.
- Bake for a further 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and stand on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into slices to serve. Enjoy.