Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake
AFFORDABLE WHOLEFOODS – RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Ok, so it may sound a little strange, but really it works. This one was devoured in the tea room in a few short hours.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 & 1/2 cups organic stoneground wholegrain self raising flour
1/2 cup organic cocoa powder (with extra for dusting)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
500g sweet potato, peeled and grated
4 large free range eggs
3/4 cup maple syrup (extra to serve)
3/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
- Preheat your oven to 180’C and prepare a round cake tin greasing and lining with baking paper.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and grated sweet potato in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs with the maple syrup, olive oil and vanilla, then add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer to the cake tine and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until firm to touch. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to tray to cool.
- Dust the cake with cocoa powder and drizzle with extra maple syrup to serve.
Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free
If you like this cake recipe you may also like to try our Pumpkin and Cinnamon Cake with Coconut Ganache