Coffee Banana Cake
This week’s recipe of the week has been shared by plant based recipe creator, Jess Wicks, a deliciously spongy Coffee Banana Cake. Give it a try!
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup plant milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup oil
1 cup sugar
3 medium bananas mashed
2 cup self-raising flour
1 pinch salt to taste
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp instant coffee powder
100 g dark chocolate roughly chopped *optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Add the chia seeds and boiling water to a large bowl and leave for 5 minutes so the seeds can absorb the liquid.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients, including the banana and mix.
- Dissolve the ground coffee into the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold through using a spoon.
- Pour mixture into a square tin that is lined with baking paper (or your desired cake tin).
- Top with some more banana and chocolate if you want to.
- Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Leave the cake on the bench to cool down before adding it to a sealed container and storing it either in the pantry or fridge.