This week’s recipe of the week has been adapted from the book Healthiest Meals on Earth by Jonny Bowden and has been shared by store owner Denise. The gluten-free brownie has a soft velvety consistency and rich chocolate flavour. So yummy, Enjoy!
Makes: 12 brownies
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
1¼ cups of pitted dates
9 tablespoons high-quality cacao or cocoa powder
¼ cup macadamia nut oil
½ cup maple syrup
2 cups canned chickpeas rinsed and drained, or 2 cups (200g) freshly cooked chickpeas
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius
- Measure the dates into a liquid measuring cup and pour in hot water to the 11/2 cup line, turning the dates over with your hands until the water reaches all the dates.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour off ¼ cup (60 ml) of the liquid in the dates and process the rest in a blender or food processor until it forms a smooth paste.
- Put the date paste into a large bowl and add the cacao or cocoa powder, oil, and maple syrup, mixing well.
- Combine the beans and eggs in a blender or food processor and process until very smooth.
- Add the chickpea mixture to the date mixture, stirring well to combine, and pour the batter into a 9-inch (23cm), non-stick pan or pie dish (if using glass, you can grease lightly with a little oil).
- Bake for 45 minutes. Cool for at least 15 minutes, cut, and serve. Store the remainder in the fridge.
Gluten-free | Vegetarian