Lemon Chia and Poppy Seed Loaf
‘Zingy, moist and absolutely delicious’, this is how we would describe our Lemon, Chia & Poppy loaf. This recipe is so easy to put together, and if you’re entertaining, your guests will certainly love you. A must if you’re into citrus flavours.
1 ½ cup organic unbleached plain flour
1 ½ teaspoons gluten free baking powder
Pinch of Himalayan salt
¾ cup coconut oil
¼ cup raw sugar
2 free range eggs
1 free range egg yolk
¾ cup natural yogurt (substitute with coconut yoghurt if dairy free)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 ½ tablespoons chia seeds
Zest of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon organic vanilla essence
1 1/2 lemons juiced
¼ cup raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius and grease a loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the coconut oil and sugar together until fluffy then slowly add the eggs one at a time. Add the lemon zest, poppy seeds, chia seeds, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add half the flour and then add the yogurt and mix.
- Last, add the rest of the flour and mix until only just combined.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While the loaf is baking make the lemon syrup. Heat the lemon juice and sugar together until it comes to a simmer. As soon as the loaf is taken out of the oven, spoon the syrup on top. Leave the loaf in the pan for several hours, or overnight. Enjoy!
For a gluten free option simply replace the regular flour for a gluten free plain baking flour, or better still, use 1 cup gluten free flour and 1/2 cup nut meal.